SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Doubles set the tone as the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team started the 2017 season in convincing fashion. The Wildcats went on the road to defeat Western New England University, 8-1, on Friday.
At number one doubles, Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) did not drop a game on their way to victory. Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) and Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) followed with an 8-5 win at number three and Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) produced the same score at number two.
Singles opened with Olson posting a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Jessica Cote at number six. Hernandez secured the team point with her 6-2, 6-4 triumph at number five.
The Wildcats go on the road Tuesday to take on Curry at 4 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 8, Western New England 1
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Maylene Lapress (WNEU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Morgan Schroder (WNEU) def. Taylor Klein (JWU) 7-6, 1-0 (6)
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Christina D'Acostino (WNEU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (7)
4. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Rachel Bauer (WNEU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Petra Rortinolli (WNEU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Jessica Cote (WNEU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Morgan Schroder / Christina D'Acostino (WNEU) 8-0
2. Holly Olson/ Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Maylene Lapres/ Petra Rortinolli (WNEU) 8-5
3. Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Morgan Schroder / Kim Phu (WNEU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,4,1,3,2)