WORCESTER, Mass – In its final tune-up before the NCAA Tournament, the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team went on the road and waxed Clark University. The Wildcats breezed past the Cougars, 9-0, on Monday.
Johnson & Wales improved to 15-3 while Clark dropped to 5-12.
The Wildcats jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead by sweeping doubles. Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) and Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) won 8-2 at number two. Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) followed at number one with an 8-0 shutout. Completing the sweep was Holly Olson (Mukwonago, Wisc.) and Madison Hernandez (Phoenix, Ariz.) with an 8-4 triumph at number two.
Olson was the first player to win a singles match as she dispatched of Chloe Dunwell, 6-1, 6-1 at number five. The clinching point came from Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) as she prevailed at number two, 6-3, 6-0 over Katie Benson.
Johnson & Wales now waits to find out its first round opponent in the NCAA Tournament when the brackets are announced next week.
Johnson & Wales 9, Clark 0
1. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Anna Gates (CU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Katie Benson (CU): 6-3, 6-0
3. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Misa Mai (CU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Maggie Tarbox (CU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Chloe Dunwell (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Kayla Lanlahl (CU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Anna Gates/ Misa Mai (CU) 8-0
2. Holly Olson/ Madison Hernandez (JWU) def. Maggie Tarbox/Chole Dunwell (CU) 8-4
3. Ashley Hartford/Victoria Pizzulo (JWU) def. Katie Benson/ Kayla Lanlahl (CU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,2,4,6,1,3)