NORTHAMPTON, Mass – The last time the Johnson & Wales University women's tennis team was on the court, they were hoisting the GNAC trophy. The Wildcats do not appear to be slowing down anytime soon as they started the spring season with a 7-2 victory over Smith on Friday.
The Wildcats got out to an early lead by taking two of the three doubles points. The team of Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) won 8-2 at number two doubles. Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.) and Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) were 8-4 winners at number three.
Olson was the first JWU player off the court as she rolled past Tess Ostoyich, 6-1, 6-1 at number six. Next was Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) at number four with her 6-0, 6-1 triumph against Kara Van Allen. Giving the Wildcats the team victory was Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) as she won at number three 6-4, 6-0 over Christine Yee.
The Wildcats are right back on the court at the UMass Dartmouth Spring Fling on Saturday.
Johnson & Wales 7, Smith 2
1. Margaret Anne Smith (SC) def. Morgan Thompson (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Joanna Kim (SC) 4-6, 6-2 1-0 (7)
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Christine Yee (SC) def. 6-4, 6-0
4. Taylor Klein (JWU) def. Kara Van Allen (SC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Lauren Torre (JWU) def. Emma Essenmacher (SC) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
6. Holly Olson (JWU) def. Tess Ostoyich (SC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Margaret Anne Smith / Joanna Kim (SC) def. Morgan Thompson/ Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) 8-3
2. Nina Cohen/Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Kara Van Allen / Emma Essenmacher (SC) 8-2
3. Holly Olson/Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Leigh Johnston / Christine Yee (SC) 8-4
Johnson & Wales: 14-2
St. Joseph: 5-13
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,3,2,5,1)