PROVIDENCE, RI – Strong winds and a stronger opponent made for a long afternoon for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. The Wildcats dropped an 8-1 decision to Western New England University on Thursday.
The loss dropped the Wildcats to 0-3 while the Golden Bears improved to 6-1.
Johnson & Wales got on the board with the first singles victory as Gunner Mahoney won 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (2) at number three. Unfortunately, that would be JWU's only singles victory.
The Wildcats are back at home on Saturday to take on Suffolk at 5:30 p.m. The match will be played at Centre Court in Riverside and is the team's Big Game with giveaways to all fans in attendance.
Western New England 8, Johnson & Wales 1
April 5, 2018 at Providence, RI (Rhode Island College)
1. David Kalmer (WNE) def. Ryan Schiele (JWU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Luke Surawski (WNE) def. Gianni Rodriguez (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Gunner Mahoney (JWU) def. Peter Stegemann (WNE) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Max Gordon (WNE) def. Alexander Rohana (JWU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Michael Tran (WNE) def. Jack Hopkins (JWU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Griffin Arnold (WNE) def. Marco Saldierna (JWU) 6-1, 6-1
1. David Kalmer/Justin Kohut (WNE) def. Gianni Rodriguez/Ryan Schiele (JWU) 8-4
2. Max Gordon/Luke Surawski (WNE) def. Gunner Mahoney/Jack Hopkins (JWU) 8-1
3. Peter Stegemann/Matt Russell (WNE) def. Marco Saldierna/Robert Michalofsky (JWU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,5,4,1,2)
Records: Western New England (6-1) / Johnson & Wales (0-3)