BOSTON – A sweep of the doubles matches got the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team started on its way to an 8-1 decision at UMass Boston on Tuesday. Johnson & Wales improved to 7-2 while the Beacons dropped to 5-7.
The senior tandem of Andre Barbero (Briell, NJ) and Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) easily won 8-1 at number one. Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) were next with their 8-3 triumph at two doubles. Completing the sweep at number three was Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) as they prevailed 8-4.
UMass Boston won the first singles point, then Wildcats took the rest. Auffret produced a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Alexander Comerchero at number two. Completing the team victory was Barbero as he beat Austin DeLasse, 6-4, 6-2 at number one.
The Wildcats play their final regular season GNAC match on Saturday when they go to Norwich for a 1 p.m. contest.
Johnson & Wales 8, UMass Boston 1
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Austin DeLasse (UMB) 6-4, 6-2
2. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) def. Alexander Comerchero (UMB) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Tin Tran (UMB) 6-4, 6-2
4. Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Sanshrut Sharma (UMB) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ray Platteel (UMB) def. Tyler Dupee (JWU) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (6)
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Guang Huang (UMB) 6-1, 6-3
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Austin DeLasse/Alexander Comerchero 8-1
2. Ryan Schiele/Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Josh Bhasin/ Tin Tran (UMB) 8-3
3. Jack Hopkins/Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Guang Huang / Onkgopotse Mokoka (UMB) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,1,3,6,5)