PROVIDENCE, RI – The Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team wrapped up the home portion of its regular season schedule on Saturday. The Wildcats swept all six singles matches on their way to an 8-1 victory over Wentworth.
Johnson & Wales improved to 6-2. The Leopards fell to 2-6
The two teams split the first two doubles matches with Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) winning 8-0 at number three. The Wildcats took a 2-1 lead after doubles thanks to an 8-4 win by Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) at number two.
The bottom of the JWU line-up came through with the three victories needed to secure the team triumph. Farmer was the first one off the court as he beat Thinh Dang, 6-2, 6-3 at number four. Producing a 6-4, 7-5 win against Alex Mularski at number five was Dupee. The deciding point came from Hopkins as he toppled Evan Gosselin, 6-2, 6-1 at number six.
JWU is on the road Tuesday when it takes on UMass Boston at 3 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 8, Wentworth 1
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Matthew Smith (WIT) 6-4, 6-1, 6-1
2. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) def. Jeff Tocco (WIT) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-6)
3. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Zach Peter (WIT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Thinh Dang (WIT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Alex Mularski (WIT) 6-4, 7-5
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Evan Gosselin (WIT) 6-2, 6-1
1. Matthew Smith/Jeff Tocco (WIT) def. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) 8-6
2. Ryan Schiele/Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Thinh Dang/Alex Mularski (WIT) 8-4
3. Jack Hopkins/Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Evan Gosselin/Mun Chet (WIT) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,6,1,2,3)