RIVERSIDE, RI – Inclement weather delayed the start of the spring season for the Johnson & Wales University men's tennis team. When the Wildcats finally got on the courts they were red hot as they started 2017 with a 7-2 victory over Bridgewater State on Saturday at Centre Court.
Johnson & Wales upped its record to 2-1 while the Bears dropped their season opener.
The Wildcats swept all three doubles to start the match. Nicholas Auffret (Holtsville, NY) and Andrew Barbero (Brielle, NJ) cruised to an 8-0 victory at number one while Ryan Schiele (Lusby, Md.) and Taylor Farmer (Carmel, Ind.) prevailed 8-1 at number two. Finishing the sweep was Jack Hopkins (Hamilton, Mass.) and Tyler Dupee (Middletown, NY) at number three as they won 8-2.
Farmer picked up the first singles win with his 6-1, 6-3 victory at number three against Justin Haley. Completing the team victory was Barbero as he rolled past Matt McGee, 6-1, 6-3, at number one.
JWU goes on the road Tuesday for a 3:30 p.m. match at Clark.
Johnson & Wales 7, Bridgewater State University 2
1. Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Matt McGee (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Chris Jastrab (BSU) def. Nicholas Auffret (JWU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Justin Haley (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ryan Schiele (JWU) def. Michael Delisle (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Harrison Ryan (BSU) def. Tyler Dupee (JWU) 7-6 (12-10), 0-1 (5-10), 1-0 (10-5)
6. Jack Hopkins (JWU) def. Alexander Belinsky (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Nicholas Auffret/Andre Barbero (JWU) def. Matt McGee/Chris Jastrab (BSU) 8-0
2. Ryan Schiele/Taylor Farmer (JWU) def. Justin Haley/Michael Delisle (BSU) 8-1
3. Jack Hopkins/Tyler Dupee (JWU) def. Harrison Ryan/Alexander Belinsky (BSU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)