JWU Mens Tennis Defeats Norwich, 6-3
Providence, R.I. – The Johnson & Wales
men's tennis team posted a 6-3 victory over Norwich in a
Great Northeast Athletic Conference contest at the Moses Brown
Courts on Saturday afternoon.
JWU took the 2-1 lead after opening with the doubles competition and then took four of the six singles matches en route to the 6-3 victory. Sophomore James Adriano (Pawcatuck, Conn.) notched a 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles for the Wildcats and teamed with senior Gino Richter (Woodbury, N.Y.) for an 8-5 win at second doubles. Senior Devin Kitterick (Bridgewater, Mass.) recorded a pair of victories for the Wildcats, posting a perfect 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles and a 9-8 win at third doubles with junior John Sepowitz (Oakdale, Conn.).
With the win Johnson & Wales improves to 1-2, 1-1 in the GNAC while Norwich falls to 1-1 on the season, 0-1 in league play. The Wildcats will return to action on Monday, March 29th when they travel to Curry for a non-conference contest at 3:00 p.m.
1. Collin Hyte (NU) def. Henrick Arnbert (JWU) 6-2, 4-0 default
2. Fritz Kaelber (NU) def. Gino Richter (JWU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Devin Kitterick (JWU) def. Graham Oliveira (NU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Tucker Plimpton (JWU) def. Logan O'Neill (NU) 6-2, 6-3
5. James Adriano (JWU) def. Travis Tyler (NU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
6. John Horton (JWU) def. Chris Pashley (NU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
1. Hyte/Kaelber (NU) def. Arnbert/Plimpton (JWU) 8-2
2. Richter/Adriano (JWU) def. Oliveira/O'Neill (NU) 8-5
3. Kitterick/John Sepowitz (JWU) def. Tyler/Pashley 9-8 (7-1 in the tiebreaker)